011: Drafting wills and powers of attorney
Mia and Dinah interview Justin Hiew, a lawyer from McMahon Fearnly Lawyers, to get some expert input into the morbid but important topic of wills and powers of attorney.
The information provided in this podcast constitutes general information only. It is not intended to nor does it constitute legal advice and it is not a substitute for professional legal advice. You should obtain professional advice before taking any action in relation to any matter discussed in the podcast.
They talk about:
- why it is important to make sure you have a will and powers of attorney
- when a will kit is probably good enough
- the difference between a will and a trust
- how financial and medical Power of Attorneys work
- when you should consider updating your will
- the importance of where to store your will
- what to look for when you are choosing a lawyer to prepare a will
- typical costs of preparing wills and powers of attorney.
Mia and Dinah talk about what were the key blockers for them to prepare their wills and powers of attorney. For Dinah, it was finding a lawyer and choosing an Executor and for Mia, it was thinking through her final wishes, the guardianship of her children as well as the distribution of her assets.
Please head to the Life Admin Life Hacks Facebook page to connect with listeners and share your thoughts, questions or suggestions.